I’ve been scratching my head over the last couple of days about why my project compiled so damn slow with Mtasc. It used to compile in about 2 seconds, compared to 20 seconds in the Flash IDE. But now, since the beginning of this week it compiles in over 30 seconds! The weird thing was that I had the same problem before but it got solved without me knowing what caused the problem.
I first thought that it had something to do my Eclipse setup, more specific Flashout. So instead of compiling in Flashout, I tried with an ANT task that simply called the mtasc executable and passed in some parameters. It still compiled in about 30 seconds.
Next I opened a command line and compiled manually, which is pretty much the same as the ANT task, but nothing. It compiled in 30+ seconds.
Maybe it has something to do with some of the classes causing conflicts. So I compile with the -v flag to get more output, which resulted in a 40+ seconds compile time. I even tried adding the -v flag in the “additionals” field in Flashout, but that didn’t compile at all. The task manager told me that mtasc.exe was staying at 1080 kb memory and the only way to stop compiling was to kill the process.
Boss to the rescue
After trying all of this, one of my bosses (Peter Portnoy, yeah Dream Theater rocks!) comes sitting at my desk. I explain the problem and he asks me if I have an AntiVirus program running. “I do, Norton Antivirus!”. Let me disable the realtime protection and try compiling again…
Bingo & sweet potatoe pie!
The project compiles in 2 seconds.
Seems like bosses still do know things. Now if I only was my own boss
Add to Bloglines - Digg This! - del.icio.us - Stumble It! - Twit This! - Technorati links - Share on Facebook - Feedburner